Wednesday, May 27, 2009

July 17,2008...The Road Test...

I woke up that morning with a pit in my stomach as I don't like taking tests at all, never mind one while you are hurtling down the road at 50km/hr. The test was set for 1:15 in the afternoon and I was to pick up the bike from the class instructors by 11:30 am. I prepared for the test by putting a fluorescent orange stripe up the middle of my helmet so they could easily see when I was shoulder checking. Jen told me to remember to be a "bobble head" so they could see what I was doing. So my bobble head and I went to go and pick up the bike.

Kelly my course instructor gave me some helpful tips before I took off on the bike and gave me a thumbs up signal and could wait to find out if I passed. She thought that the fluorescent tape was great because she said, "they would know that I would know that they were looking for me to be shoulder checking" I get to the driver services center a bit too early. I can feel my confidence waining as I am waiting.

Finally they call me....

The gentleman introduces himself and proceeds to put me into a safety Dan vest and gives me an earphone so I can listen to him. We go outside to the bike and he sees the "Learn to Ride" signs plastered all over the bike which I think helped. We go through the checks on the bike then we head out for our ride.
Along the way I lose him as I get through a traffic light so he tells me to turn right and wait for him by the side of the road. I must have done a good job as it took him 5 minutes to catch up with me. He then asks me to do a U-turn and go the other way. All is going well.

We get back to the driver services building and he tells me to park so I proceed to try and park in a handicapped spot...OOPS! He tells me that I might not want to park there...
We go inside and he basically marked me down for my lane position a few times and a couple of minor things. I actually had to ask him if I passed as he never told me!

I PASSED!!!!

Now begins the true adventure!

Next...Flo/Tannis, A new Nickname, and RLAP training

No comments:

Post a Comment