Sunday, January 11, 2009

My birthday and my first real ride!

June 1, 2008

Happy 37th birthday to me! I had lots of practice in the driveway and up and down our little road but hadn't been able to get out for a real ride as our friend Bob had surgery on his wrist and had been unable to ride at that point. For a birthday gift he said that he would supervise me while I practiced at the Juan De Fuca parking lot. He was going to meet us there I didn't want to ride the bike there so Peter rode the bike for me and I followed him in the car.

Bob asked me to do a few things like an emergency stop, and some u turns so he could see how I was doing. After about 10 minutes he told me to go out of the parking lot and ride down the road and turn back into the parking lot. There are 3 lots connected together by this one road.  As long as he could see me it was okay for me to do this. Meanwhile I was trying to remember to look after I stopped and use my turn signals (and remember to turn them off). After about half an hour of riding all over these 3 lots, Bob and Peter looked at each other then looked at me. They agreed that I was ready to ride in traffic. I asked them if they were sure and they told me that I was more than ready to ride the bike home!

So, they all hop in the car and they follow me out of the parking lot. That first ride was a bit scary but I was confident that I could do it. I didn't even stall the engine! Now I just had to take my course and my road test and I was ready to ride my own!

Next...VILR and the Canada Day Ride!

4 comments:

  1. And look at you now, Mir! You are just amazing on that bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I certainly feel more confident now than I did! I love the fact that I can live here and ride in the middle of January!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think sis, now you've got me riding too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and that's later in the story! Gotta start from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete