Tuesday, January 20, 2009

VILR, WWR, and the "Canada Day" Ride!

After my first ride, I'm surfing around the internet as my friend
said that there was a women rider's site and that I should check it out. So I finally stumble across the Women Who Ride site (WWR) which was the beginning of many great relationships with other ladies. The forum moderator, Donna welcomes me into the group as well as a bunch of other wonderful ladies. While I am being welcomed I notice a lady named "Flo" who has a link to
 her Vancouver Island Lady Rider's site. Well, life just gets more interesting all the time! I click on the link and introduce myself. This is before Flo is back from her Conga, but being new I did not know this and posted if anyone goes out for rides together. Dragon says that Flo's away "on the adventure of a lifetime" but something will happen when she gets back.

I'm sad to say that I missed Flo coming back for the conga, but she comes back and the talk begins about a "Canada Day" ride to meet Baby (me) in Victoria. I got the nick Baby because I was the youngest of the group at the time, also probably because I was riding a little 250cc bike. Jos, Flo, Dragon,  and a few others are madly trying to set up dates. Of course my wonky work schedule always makes it interesting!

I'm still waiting to take my course, and don't have my MST at 
this time so I'm just a noob. I'm excited that I'm going to meet some of "the girls", little did I know that I would be arriving to a large group of motorcycles!


Now that's a sight to see!

It was quite an eye opener for me as I had never seen so many bikes (seemed like it to me!) in one spot.
Dragon and I had discussed the route earlier and decided to go down Munn's road. Munns is a great twisty, windy road. Six of us set out to have a good time and a great ride!


We navigated Munns and decided that we were going to take Flo down to Esquimalt Lagoon for a look-see.
The scenery from there is breathtaking. You can see across the strait to Seattle from there on a clear day.


Left to right: Dragon, Flo, Me, Tazz, Janice

From there we took Metchosin Road, to Happy Valley Road, then to Kangaroo Road which is very scenic and twisty. We stopped at the 16 mile pub for a bit of relaxation and some dinner, then rode from there back into town. Now, as I only had a learners permit, I was not allowed to go over 60km/hr. Well, we blew that right out of the water as we were going back to town at 80. Meanwhile my little 250 was giving her all trying to keep up with the "big girls". I could have sworn that it was going to explode! So, we get into town and I split off from the group as we are all going our different ways. It was a great ride and a memorable time!

Next: My class, My MST test, and my Road Test


1 comment:

  1. Great memories Baby!!!! I enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete